National Science Foundation
2018 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships in
Sensor Science and Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
- 10 Week Program: June 4, 2018 – August 10, 2018
- Online Application
- Application Deadline: January 31, 2018
During the Summer of 2018 the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and the Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology (LASST) at the University of Maine will offer the opportunity for a limited number of highly qualified undergraduate students to participate in research under the guidance of various faculty in the area of sensor science and engineering. This program is sponsored by the National Science Foundation, and awards the participating student a stipend of $800/week for a period of ten weeks. A subsistence award which will help defray expenses for lodging and meals is available for eligible students. Six undergraduate credits will be awarded to the student for his/her undergraduate research participation. Women, minorities and/or handicapped are strongly urged to apply to the program.
Students will be involved in fundamental and applied sensor research in a new engineering science research building where they will work with state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities. They will interact with faculty members, research scientists, and graduate students for guidance and consultation throughout the 10-week period. At the completion of the program, students will write a final report and give an oral seminar.
Possible Research Areas Include:
- Nanoscale materials for sensors
- Piezoelectric Sensors
- Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS) and Nano Sensors
- Biological and Environmental Applications
- Biological and Chemical Sensors
- Wireless sensor networks
- Big Data: Sensor Data Fusion
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Current first, second or third year undergraduates.
- $8,000 stipend
- 6 academic credits for (i) INT 398 Undergraduate Research Participation, and (ii) ECE 465 Introduction to Sensors.
Nuri W. Emanetoglu
The University of Maine, 5708 Barrows Hall, Orono, ME 04469-5708
Phone: 207-581-2233, Fax 207-581-4531